On January 1, 2004, Canada's Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) came into effect. The Act balances the need for organizations to gather and use personal information with your right to privacy. It also gives you control over your personal information by requiring organizations to obtain your consent to collect, use or disclose information about you.
Personal information includes all information an organization collects, retains or uses that can in any way identify or give information about an individual. It does not include the name, title, and business address or business contact information of an organization's employee.
Meeting PIPEDA compliance requirements has provided the Urban with the opportunity to put policies and practices in place to safeguard your privacy in accordance with the Act.
The policy is based on the following ten PIPEDA principles:
1. Accountability: The Urban is responsible for maintaining and protecting all personal information under its control. A designated Board Member is accountable for compliance with the ten principles that comprise the Urban policy.
2. Identifying purposes: When the Urban asks for your personal information, the purpose for which it is being collected will be identified. The information is used to inform you about the life of the church, maintain your subscriptions to church publications, register you for church events and compile statistical and historical information about the Urban. Personal information is not shared with third parties without your express consent.
3. Consent: The Urban requires your knowledge and consent for the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information, except where it is required or permitted by law.
4. Limiting Collection: The Urban collects information by fair and lawful means and limits collection to those details necessary for identified purposes. The personal information collected is usually limited to name, title, gender, address, telephone number, email address and congregational or committee membership.
5. Limiting use, disclosure and retention: The Urban uses your personal information only for the purpose for which it was collected unless your consent is sought to do otherwise. Personal information is retained indefinitely for archival purposes unless you request to have it deleted.
6. Accuracy: The Urban endeavors to ensure that the information collected and used is accurate, up to date and as complete as possible. However, individuals are relied upon to inform us of changes to their personal information. You may request access to your personal information and if applicable, request that we make corrections or changes to your file.
7. Safeguarding information: The Urban applies appropriate safeguards to our computer networks and physical files and access to personal information about you is restricted to those Urban employees and authorized Board Members who need to use the information for the identified purposes.
8. Openness: The Urban makes information available to you concerning the practices that apply to the protection of your
9. Individual access: At your request, you will be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of your information and be given access to it. You may verify the accuracy and completeness of your information, and may request that it be amended or deleted.